How to Join a Reading Group
To participate in a reading group for the 2019 List, email Darcie Caswell and the facilitator whose reading group you would like to join–or remain in–between March 23 and July 31, 2018. You will receive an email confirming your interest from email@example.com. You must email both Darcie and the Facilitator (below) to be included in our Membership List.
Reading Group Facilitators
How to Nominate a Title
You must be a member of a Capitol Choices reading group in order to nominate a title for consideration, however members are welcome to nominate titles for any reading group, not only theirs. I.e., a member of the 10-14 reading group is welcome to nominate a title for readers 14+, and any member may nominate an audiobook.
For more details about nominating (eligibility, style, etc.), please see below.
Book Discussion Guidelines
During meetings we follow the CCBC Book Discussion Guidelines.
Blog Posts – get updates via email. Subscribe to this Blog page to get updates when new blog entries are posted.
Facebook and Twitter – click on the links (@capchoices; https://www.facebook.com/capitolchoices/) and get updates via your favorite social networking sites.
Donations are welcome! If you found something useful here, help us keep going. Donations are not tax-deductible, but keep your receipt for your records. Please mail checks payable to “Capitol Choices” to Kathie Meizner, Capitol Choices Treasurer, Rockville Memorial Library, 21 Maryland Ave, Rockville MD 20850. If you prefer to use PayPal, just contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional instructions.
Any titles published for children or teens in the current year are eligible. In case of doubt about publication date, please follow the date listed in the book itself. Reisssues are eligible for consideration if they include significant new content, such as new illustrations. Titles published only as eContent are not eligble for nomination.
Guidelines for Nominations
Print titles: Offer a brief description of the book and reasons why you think this deserves to be one of a hundred on our list. Please limit yourself to 100 words.
Audio titles: As above, but, in addition to a brief description of the title, include in your nomination what makes this an outstanding audio production.
- Email: We ask for the email address you use for membership communications in order to ensure the integrity of our process. As a reminder, only Capitol Choices members may nominate books for consideration.
- Title: Book title in all caps. If it’s an audiobook, include [AUDIOBOOK].
- Authors: Or Illustrator. There is a separate field for the narrator.
- Publisher: Select one. If it’s not in the list, click on “Other” and email Darcie Caswell to have the publisher added.
- Ages: Choose the reading group to which it belongs.
- Publication Month: Books will not appear on the agenda until the month after publication to give more readers time to consider the title before discussion.
- Edition information: Choose the format, include the price (e.g. 17.00 – no need to include the dollar sign), and the 13-digit ISBN.
- Add your nomination. This should include roughly one to three concise sentences offering members a sense of the title and its distinctive characteristics. If you compose your nomination in Word and then paste it into this form, be aware that some of your formatting may be lost. If you keep the text simple (no bolding, font changes, etc.), it should be fine.
- Name: Please include your name with the nomination, noting “Anonymous” only if you are currently on an ALA committee and are unable to publicly nominate a title.