How to Join a Reading Group
To participate in a reading group for the 2022 List, please enroll as a reading group member by July 31, 2021. Active members will receive the renewal Google Form via email; new members may request the Form by emailing Erin Brallier. Members should plan to attend meetings regularly and participate in at least half of the discussions during the reading year in order to take part in end-of-the-year voting.
Reading Group Facilitators
How to Nominate a Title
You must be a member of a Capitol Choices reading group in order to nominate a title for consideration, however members are welcome to nominate titles for any reading group, not only theirs. I.e., a member of the 10-14 reading group is welcome to nominate a title for readers 14+, and any member may nominate an audiobook. Final inclusion of an audiobook on our list will be determined by the reading group for which the audiobook would best fit.
For more details about nominating (eligibility, style, etc.), please see below.
Book Discussion Guidelines
During meetings we follow the CCBC Book Discussion Guidelines.
Blog Posts – get updates via email. Subscribe to this Blog page to get updates when new blog entries are posted.
Social Media – click on the links (@capchoices on Instagram and Twitter; https://www.facebook.com/capitolchoices/) and get updates via your favorite social networking sites.
Donations are welcome! If you found something useful here, help us keep going. Checks are welcome, and you can donate via PayPal. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Any titles published for children or teens in the current calendar year are eligible. In case of doubt about publication date, please follow the date listed in the book itself. Reisssues are eligible for consideration if they include significant new content, such as new illustrations or appreciably updated content. Titles published only as eContent are not eligible for nomination.
Guidelines for Nominations
Print titles: Offer a brief description of the book and reasons why you think this deserves to be one of a hundred on our list. Please limit yourself to 100 words, and aim for 50.
Audio titles: As above, but, in addition to a brief description of the title, include in your nomination what makes this an outstanding audio production.
- Email: We ask for the email address you use for membership communications in order to ensure the integrity of our process. As a reminder, only active Capitol Choices members may nominate books for consideration.
- Title: Book title in all caps.
- Author, Illustrator and Narrator each have separate fields.
- Publisher/Imprint: Select one. If it’s not in the list, click on “Other” and email Erin Brallier to have the publisher added.
- Ages: Choose the reading group to which it belongs.
- Publication Month: Books will not appear on the agenda until the month after publication to give more readers time to consider the title before discussion. You are welcome to nominate well in advance of publication. If you nominate after a book is published, please list the discussion month as the next time our group will gather, to help us ensure we catch the nomination for our Agenda.
- Edition information: Choose the format, include the price (e.g. $17.99), and the 13-digit ISBN.
- Add your nomination. This should include roughly one to three concise sentences offering members a sense of the title and its distinctive characteristics.
- Name: Please include your name with the nomination, noting “Anonymous” only if you are currently on an ALA committee and are unable to publicly nominate a title. You membership email address will verify the nomination.