CAPITOL CHOICES AGENDA for JUNE 29, 2012
CAPITOL CHOICES AGENDA
Friday, June 29, 2012
Arlington Central Library Auditorium
Reminder: Titles will not appear on the agenda until the month of publication. This allows time for more people to read books or listen to audios.
Please note: titles marked with an * have been held over from a previous meeting and require more readers.
Book discussion guidelines reviewed:
Look at each book for what it is, rather than what it is not.
- Make positive comments first. Try to express what you liked about the book and why. (e.g. "The illustrations are a perfect match for the story because....")
- After everyone has had the opportunity to say what they appreciated about the book, you may talk about difficulties you had with a particular aspect of the book. Try to express difficulties as questions, rather than declarative judgments on the book as a whole. (e.g. "Would Max's dinner really have still been warm?" rather than "That would never happen.")
- Avoid recapping the story or booktalking the book. There is not time for a summary.
- Refrain from relating personal anecdotes. The discussion must focus on the book at hand.
- Try to compare the book with others on the discussion list, rather than other books by the same author or other books in your experience.
- All perspectives and vocabularies are correct.?There is no "right" answer or single correct response.
- Listen openly to what is said, rather than who says it.
- Respond to the comments of others, rather than merely waiting for an opportunity to share your comments.
- Talk with each other, rather than to the discussion facilitator.
- Comment to the group as a whole, rather than to someone seated near you.
*Horvath. (Horvath, narrator.) Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire!
Ibbotson. (West, narrator.) One Dog and His Boy.
***Lake. (Darcie, narrator.) In Darkness.
*Levine. (Whelan, narrator.) The Lions of Little Rock.
*Silvey. (Cowlrick, narrator.) Jasper Jones.
Sonnenblick. (Daniels, narrator.) Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip.
Wein. (Christie, narrator.) Code Name Verity.
10:15 Fourteen and Up
* Bacigalupi. The Drowned Cities.
* Danforth. The Miseducation of Cameron Post.
Lampson. This One Time With Julia.
*Marchetta. Froi of the Exiles: The Lumatere Chronicles.
Tregay. Love & Leftovers.
*Vega. Rock On: A Story of Guitars, Gigs, Girls, and a Brother (Not Necessarily in That Order.
Wein. Code Name Verity.
11:05 Ten to Fourteen
Doyle. A Greyhound of a Girl.
Feinstein. Mystery at the Olympics: Rush for the Gold.
Levinson. We’ve Got a Job: The 1963 Birmingham Children’s March.
11:20 Seven to Ten
Burleigh. George Bellows: Painter with a Punch.
Christensen. I, Galileo.
Fern. (Illustrator Kulikov.) Barnum’s Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World.
Hopkins. (Illustrator Terry.) Nasty Bugs.
Hughes. (Illustrator Collier.) I, Too, Am America.
*Ibbotson. One Dog and His Boy.
Rosenthal. (Illustrator Lichtenheld.) Wumbers.
Standiford. The Secret Tree.
11:55 Up to Seven
Evans. We March.
Goodrich. Zorro Gets an Outfit.
Hillenbrand. Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story.
Khan. (Illustrator Amini.) Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors.
Willems. Listen to My Trumpet!
Willems. The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
© Capitol Choices, 2012